Derby has a rich industrial heritage and is widely considered to be the birthplace of The Industrial Revolution. It’s the place where some of the country’s first factories and mills were built.
Jobs in Derby, from major employers like:
- Rolls-Royce – Development & manufacture of engines for civil & defence aircraft. They built the Merlin engine, used to power the Spitfire & Hurricane fighter planes. Today they produce cutting edge technologies that are clean & safe, including the Trent engine family.
- Toyota – Reputation for building reliable and durable cars. Trucks & cars are produced in 26 countries, for sale in more than 160 markets across the world.
- Bombardier Transportation UK – Manufacture, service & maintain railway rolling stock also design, develop, manufacture & install signalling systems
- Bowmer & Kirkland – One of the largest & most successful construction & development companies in the UK. They have an office in Belper & built the multi-award winning Derby Arena
- Royal Crown Derby – One of the oldest remaining porcelain manufacturers. Well known for bone china, table & ornamental items, since 1750. They have a superb visitor centre, split into five sections. (1) Retail Shop (2) 1750 Tea Room (3) Museum (4) Exhibition (5) Factory Tour
- University of Derby – A modern & trusted institution to find: undergraduate, postgraduate, foundation & short courses. (1) Rated gold in the Teaching Excellence & Student Outcomes Framework (TEF) University. A rating of gold means that a university has demonstrated the highest-quality teaching standards and is consistently outstanding.(2) A top 30 university in The Guardian University Guide, 2020 – Latest Jobs
Rolls-Royce and Toyota
Key Economic Indicators
- Derbyshire contributes about 15.2 billion to the national economy.
- Employment rates continue to rise & are at about 79.1% at present.
- Significant strengths in the advanced manufacturing sector, world class companies including: Rolls Royce, Bombardier & Toyota.
- Manufacturing accounts for nearly 20% of all employment, more than double the national rate.
- The visitor economy also plays a big role in the local economy, providing 23,400 jobs along with health & social care – 39,300 jobs.
13 Fascinating Facts To Make You Proud of Being From Derbyshire
A fantastic article, well worth reading, source Derbyshire Live, News.
It’s played a massive part in not only the history of Britain but the history of the world …