Derby Jobs – Derby is at the heart of the East Midlands and lies on the banks of the River Derwent.
During the Industrial Revolution it was the location of the first water powered silk mill in the United Kingdom.
Derby gained city status in 1977 and has some great transport links as well as well renowned world class companies.
DERBY’S MAJOR EMPLOYERS
Derby Jobs are in abundance thanks to its major employers listed below.
Development & manufacture of engines for civil & defence aircraft. They built the Merlin engine, used to power the Spitfire & Hurricane fighter planes. Today they produce cutting edge technologies that are clean & safe, including the Trent engine family.
Reputation for building reliable and durable cars. Trucks & cars are produced in 26 countries, for sale in more than 160 markets across the world.
Bombardier Transportation UK
Manufacture, service & maintain railway rolling stock also design, develop, manufacture & install signalling systems
Bowmer & Kirkland
One of the largest & most successful construction & development companies in the UK. They have an office in Belper & built the multi-award winning Derby Arena
Royal Crown Derby
One of the oldest remaining porcelain manufacturers. Well known for bone china, table & ornamental items, since 1750. They have a superb visitor centre, split into five sections. (1) Retail Shop (2) 1750 Tea Room (3) Museum (4) Exhibition (5) Factory Tour
University of Derby
A modern & trusted institution to find: undergraduate, postgraduate, foundation & short courses. (1) Rated gold in the Teaching Excellence & Student Outcomes Framework (TEF) University. A rating of gold means that a university has demonstrated the highest-quality teaching standards and is consistently outstanding.(2) A top 30 university in The Guardian University Guide, 2020 – Latest Jobs
DERBY IN FIGURES
- Derbyshire contributes about 15.2 billion to the national economy
- Employment rates continue to rise & are at about 79.1% at present
- Significant strengths in the advanced manufacturing sector, world class companies including: Rolls Royce, Bombardier & Toyota
- Manufacturing accounts for nearly 20% of all employment, more than double the national rate
- The visitor economy also plays a big role in the local economy, providing 23,400 jobs along with health & social care – 39,300 jobs.